My son’s 15th birthday was on the 29th of september. I have never baked any birthday cake for my family. My son will be the first one to receive the cake baked by his mother for his special day.
So far I made durian cakes, baked cheese cakes and sponge cakes, but none of it seems to attract my son as he did not ask for second helping after eating the cakes. If it were cookies, he will definitely ask for more.
I know chocolate has always been his favourite among the other flavours. After searching for a suitable recipe and tweaking the recipe a little from my experience, I managed to bake this delicious cake.
I’ll be sharing the recipe with you. This is the recipe.
230g unsalted butter
100g castor sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
60g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup hot water
230g cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1. Line the bottom and sides of 8″ cake pan. Preheat oven.
2. Place unsalted butter, castor sugar and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl and cream till light and fluffy.
3. Add in eggs a little at a time followed by the unsweetened cocoa powder and hot water. Make sure the cocoa powder is mixed with hot water before adding to the mixture.
4. Add in cake flour and baking powder respectively.
5. Bake at 170C for 35-45 minutes.
200g dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup thickened cream
1. Combine chocolate and cream in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl.
2. Microwave, uncovered, on medium high (70%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, until its melted.
3. Stir until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes or until thick enough to spread.
in the box, we are bringing it to my mom’s place.
Lighted chocolate cake, ready to sing birthday song for my son!
Gavyn and his cake.
Overall, we had a great birthday celebration and I was happy how everything worked out well.